There’s a thing that I think people have only started giving a name to recently. Maybe this name has always been given to it, but I’ve only come across it recently. It’s called imposter syndrome. It’s encountered when you try something new and you feel that you won’t ever get it and your questions are in fact stupid and really, you shouldn’t even try because there are millions of people out there who have been able to figure this out without asking questions. I’m in this rut right now but I’m finally coming out of it. I’m quite decent when it comes to coding in PowerShell. I can alway get the desired result. But there are people who live, eat and drink this stuff who write code that is in ways much more technical than mine. It could be argued that my code is a bit more readable, but that’s getting off the topic. The point is, I’m confident in my abilities in PowerShell. But a tool that I have been trying to use lately is absolutely knocking me senseless at every turn. I have finally come to the realization that it’s not me that can’t figure this out, it’s bad documentation. Here’s a quick eample:

There’s this thing in the tool called scripts. Think of scripts like a controller in the MVC world. The scripts handle all the dirty work. I have a module that pulls out the last log in date from active directory. Well, that script uses my module that does this and then it converts the date to a human readable format for use in the user interface. Seems simple enough doesn’t it? Well, although the scripts work really well, I’m completely unclear as to how scripts are called from within the UI. The documentation on scripts covers automation, scheduling, running from an API and running from a command line but no where in that documentation does it say how to run the scripts from the UI. AKA the dashboard.

Until I actually found a specific example of something that just wasn’t explained properly, I honestly thought I just wasn’t good enough to grasp the technicalities of this tool.

There have been other problems as well.

  • I spent twelve hours on something as it wasn’t working properly only to find out a few days later that it was in fact a bug.
  • I had problems getting intelisense working only to find that the version of the released module was for the previous version of the dashboard framework. That started a very frustrating hour where I was trying to get rid of dependencies so that I could cleanly install the pre-release version of the module.
  • Oh and the menu example in the documentation doesn’t work and the example it links to uses a different implementation of a menu.

I’m not mentioning the name of the tool here. I have asked the developers for some time with them to iron out a few of the issues that I have encountered. When that’s done, I’ll happily use this. So I don’t want to cause this small business any trouble.

But please let this be a lesson to you. If something isn’t working out, don’t default to the expectation that this is your fault. Sometimes, if you have given this enough time, consideration and research, it might actually be the developer that has screwed up.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.